What Is Your Brand Identity?
Your brand identity is the collection of the colors, shapes, and general look and feel of all your marketing material. This should be congruent across the board.
Often when people think of an identity package, they think of the business card, letterhead, and mailing envelopes. While this is correct, there is much more to it than that. What about your signage, your shirt, your website, and the decor of your office? Those are all part of your company brand as well.
Brand identity doesn't end with the physical items you show people or hand to them. Customer experience also plays a role. Whether you give your customers a good experience or a bad one, it's part of your brand identity. Consistency is also key.
Let's look at McDonalds as an example. Every McDonalds proudly displays the golden arches. However, if we change the colors around, it looks a little funny. McDonalds has done a great job of associating the red and yellow colors with their company. Another thing that McDonalds has done well is creating a consistent customer experience. You can go to any McDonalds anywhere, from Youngtown, Ohio to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to Bejing, China, and expect the same Big Mac, served the same way, in a restaurant marked by the same golden arches, quickly and efficiently.
Take a minute to think about your own business. Are your marketing materials consistent with each other? Is your customer experience the same, every time? We all need to step outside our business once in a while, and really examine what we do, evaluate it, and improve it. Give it a try. Your balance sheet will thank you.
- Marketing for Small Business (Part 3)
- Spring Clean Your Business
- Marketing for Small Business (Part 2)
- Marketing for Small Business (Part 1)
- Business Card Dos and Don'ts
- 6 Ways to Work ON Your Business, not IN it
- The One Piece of Information You Need to Include on Everything
- 5 Mistakes people make in logo design
- Your Business Card - Your Company's Most Visible Asset
- Finding the balance between personal and business in social media